Saturday, February 23, 2008

Mauresmo considers retirement

—Former Wimbledon champion Amelie Mauresmo admitted Friday that she was considering retiring from tennis after another disappointing defeat.

A former world No. 1, Mauresmo has won just eight matches since losing her title at SW19 last July.

Her poor form continued in Doha this week, when she was ousted in the second round of the Qatar Open to Thai veteran Tamarine Tanasugarn.

Having slipped to 29th in the rankings, the 28-year-old conceded she was questioning whether to continue playing.

“I sometimes ask myself what I am doing there, in front of half empty stands,” Mauresmo told French sports daily L’Equipe. “It’s typically the type of situation where you wish you were somewhere else.

“I came to this tournament wanting to do well, but there’s always a grain of sand that gets in the works and clogs things up. It’s difficult to take.”

Mauresmo seemed conflicted about whether she even wants to finish off the current season.

“I want to carry on playing, and at the same time I wonder if I don’t talk myself into it will I still have that desire?” she said. “As long as I’m motivated, I’ll continue.

“But there’s always that little something in the back of your mind wondering if it wouldn’t be better to stop.”

No comments: