Monday, May 5, 2008

Forced To Withdraw from Berlin

Former world number one Amélie Mauresmo, winner of the Berlin tournament in 2001 and 2004, will not be able to repeat her success this year. Due to a right intercoastal muscle strain the 28-year-old player from France was forced to withdraw from the 2008 Qatar Telecom German Open on Monday afternoon. Mauresmo, currently ranked 19 in the world, was scheduled to play her first round match versus compatriot Aravane Rezai.

Ame said:

"This pain started through strong coughing fits which I do not manage to look after since the EDF-Cup. Since my arrival in Berlin, I cannot dispute points normally because the pain is very sharp. I passed some examinations which showed that it was necessary to be careful and that it was to better withdraw tournament rather than to worsen the wound. I am very disappointed not to be able to play this tournament but I will do the utmost to be ready for Rome the next week "

No comments: